Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing # 16

Despite my concerns about the availability of public wikis, as noted above, I think I could use both blogs and wikis as classroom tools.  I give few notes; mostly they are tips on writing strategies, but I am already daydreaming about keeping a classroom wiki on the writing tips. Students could add on what each one got out of the things I say in class and keep it running all year. I tell them the most important thing they can do is re-read their notes on writing before every essay. I think this might be a powerful way to make them responsible for noting what they have learned, and getting help from others. Everyone has a different perspective on anything said in class. So this kind of collaboration could be wonderful.

They could also collaborate on novels read in groups, brainstorming for writing topics. What I have learned so far this summer has really been inspiriting, and energizing, for me.

Oh, and I said basically this same thing on the sandbox, but it was a good experience to go there and see how to actually post.

No comments: