Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing 6

This thing is about iTouch apps--I have an iPhone and had some word games on it, but while I was at Cambridge, I needed to keep my phone charged as long as I could. As it was, I had to ask my colleague Todd McCardle to charge it for me every day! So I deleted most of my apps.
Now I am home and will get Word Warp and lots of the other apps like Shazam and Pandora back. I am delighted to discover so many word-oriented apps for the iTouch and iPhone. I will put them on this afternoon, and I am going to suggest that my students investigate them for sure. One thing they really need work on is vocabulary development, and just, in general, to develop an appreciation of, and love for words. That will help their writing and speaking, not to mention their AP scores.
I love word games (though I hate scrabble) and like to play them in airports or other places where there is too much noise to read comfortably.

The other thing we are asked to do is to create a list for use in library. I do have to say that in order to get all the material we need to teach for the Advanced Placement exam and to finish the requirements for Composition I and II in the Dual Credit AP classes, we would not have much time for playing games in the library. But I will encourage my students to find ways to do this at home. I am going to ask them to make lists for me of how they could use the word-oriented apps at home and maybe a bit in school at the library (during free time before school perhaps?).

This morning I added Word Families, Moxie (not sure what that is, but it sounds fun), and Word Salad to my apps on my iPhone. I am excited to see how to play them. I am still not sure how AP classes could use these apps in school, but I am certainly going to encourage them to use them at home. I also added a link to my blog about the nature of creativity which I found on one of the websites Thing 6 referred us to. I love what the writer has to say.

No comments: