Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing 5 Continued

I am now back from my many travels and ready to go with Library 2Play again--I re-read Thing 4. I do like using Facebook as a way for my students to find me, but I find that some of the pictures and/or information is inappropriate for my high school students to view and connect with me. It is simple to hide the writers, so I have done that. Our principal has warned us about having Facebook pages which parents might find objectionable. As teachers we cannot risk upsetting students by refusing to allow them as friends, but we can hide them, which I think the students may not find out about. At least I hope!

I am concerned that some parents will not allow their students to use Facebook--but it certainly could be a great way for groups to discuss books they are reading in groups or even in the whole class. I am wondering what the advantages are over wikis. I do think Facebook is much easier to use than the wiki we tried last year, for one thing.

I still am not sure about Twitter. I don't like the idea of the triviality of the posts--at least the ones I have heard about. But I like the backchanneling idea. That could be helpful for my students in many areas. I am eager to hear what the students think about these ideas when school starts in August!

No comments: