Friday, June 5, 2009

Thing 2


I really like Wordle and Word Sift. I had played with Wordle at the beginning of the school year, but never figured out how to use it for learning, but now I know what to do. As an AP English teacher, I think the most important thing I can do is to inspire in my students a love of words and language. I have them write and embellish a favorite word to hang from the ceiling when we study poetry. Now I think I will ask them to play with Wordle at the beginning of the year to see what words emerge from a text they paste in and to use it as an invention strategy for writing about a piece of text.

Also I was enchanted by Word Sift. I especially loved the imagery in the links I got for dream and for other words from the poem, Rose of the World, which I had wordled before--but couldn't figure out how to save on my blog. I think my imaginative students would love this tool.
More to come.....

3 comments:

VWB said...

take a screen shot of your wordle and save it as an image!! Then you ca nupload it to your blog as you do any other picture...be sure it gets saved as a jpg or the other format that uploads into the blog (I have forgotten the other extension!)

Ann Williams said...

okay--not sure how to take a screen shot--I did try again

VWB said...

There should be a program on the Dell called Wink that does screen shots...I personally have not used because I just use the print screen key, open PPT, paster and use the crop tool.
One of the librarians told me the Wink program is very easy!
Maybe I'll add that to my things to learn...the new Macs also have a screen capture proram that allows you to crop before clicking the picture.