Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thing #2 Lifelong learning

I cannot imagine not being a lifelong learner--I never want to stop learning something. I love teaching because I learn new ideas from my students--I love to see their reactions to the literature we read and to notice the changes in each generation's attitude to something like The Great Gatsby or the King Arthur stories.

My companion, Hu, and I are interested in learning to draw or to play with art in some way. We just took a class in using colored pencils to create effects. We loved it. We love traveling and reading about new places before we visit them. We have been reading about Germany and learning some German words and phrases before we go.

I continually work on French so I can understand people better when I visit France--and so I can comprehend my five year old granddaughter who understands English, but who speaks in French.

I have read two new books about technology's effect on the brain and on brain skills needed for the new century. I also look for fiction writers to enjoy. Right now I love Haruki Murakami.

No comments: