Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thing # 9

I was so excited that I actually was able to develop news feeds in my Google Reader account--I picked sites that I know I enjoy reading and which I want to make more accessible--The New York Times Book Reviews, NY Times Film Reviews, and NPR.org. Now I really get it--I think--it is great to have these sites ready anytime I want to see what is happening in those worlds. I may add IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes for quick access to other movie reviews and information as I teach a film class at school.

I browed through the other sites suggested by Library2Play, but I didn't find much that interested me. Technorati sounds fun, but I am not sure how much time I will devote to reading other people's blogs, and I am a little too private to want to post mine there. I didn't find much in the other sites that interested me. Right now I have books to make available to my students who want to read background on a writer or poet, for instance, so I am not sure how I would use Atomic Learning, but I am open to discover.

 I read the CoolCat teacher's blog, but it didn't seem to go in depth--maybe I am not getting into the links, but when I clicked, I just got titles and a little information.  I wanted to see the class Wiki to see how that is used, but wasn't able to figure out how to read it. So this is the one that confused me.

I just went back to Thing 9 and realized I am supposed to put feeds into five blogs on my reader; I found one on Murakami and thought I posted it on my blog but cannot find it.  I will try doing it on the reader.  I do think I can use this in my classroom to help the students learn to discriminate between different news sources.  I do a project in which I ask them to evaluate the way a story is handled in two different mediums or sources.  I can ask them to work on this all the time now to be able to engage in more careful analysis and argument about new topics.

Okay--I am now back from my travels in Germany and France--and am getting back to work on my blog. I went into my Igoogle account and added three additional blogs--on travel in France and Germany and one more--will have to check it--

4 comments:

LauraAnn said...

Hey there, Daydreams! I absolutely agree w/ your comments about the value of Technorati, reading others' posts, etc.

By the way, have you read the article about creating your own circle of the wise? I think it speaks to some of the concerns we have about credibility as students go searching about the web.


http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-create-your-circle-of-wise-how.html

Ann Williams said...

I did read through it but will go back--that activity was my least favorite of the ones we have done!

LauraAnn said...

Definitely the least favorite!

Send me an e-mail w/ your travel dates so that we can plan an outing...

BTW, weren't you absolutely gratified by the end of Top Chef? I got a sick thrill by seeing Richard so completely flat-footed at the judges' comments! And Lisa, well, we all know she was just plain lucky! Go Stephanie!

Also, I watched An Ideal Husband last night - lovely! I do love Minnie Driver and wonder how she manages those comic expressions.

play4fun said...

I thought that picking sites to make reading and researching was the most valuable thing for me.
I do not necessarily enjoy posting on other blogs and reading all the contents.